How to Make Candy Apples for Halloween
Check out this simple recipe for candy apples – a favorite Halloween tradition.
Halloween is right around the corner and that means one thing – candy treats for everyone! If you’re looking for an easy to make candy recipe that your little monsters will love to devour, then here’s how to make Candy Apples.
A favorite Halloween tradition, candy apples are whole apples covered in hard sugar candy coating with a stick inserted as a handle. This homemade candy apple recipe is not only sweet and delicious, but also a healthier choice than commercial candy products.
Here’s what you need:
· 8 apples
· 8 Popsicle sticks
· 2 cups granulated sugar
· 1 cup of light corn syrup
· 1/2 cup of hot water
· 1/2 cup of red cinnamon candies, such as Red Hots
1. Get a baking sheet ready by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Wash and dry the apples. Remove the stems and stick the popsicle sticks in the stem ends.
3. Combine the water, corn syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium to high heat. Stir ingredients together until the sugar dissolves. Then continue to cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 250 degrees. Occasionally wash down the sides of the saucepan with a wet pasty brush to prevent the mixture from crystalizing.
4. Once the candy mixture reaches 250 degrees add in the cinnamon candies and stir. Let cook until it reaches 285 degrees, while washing down the sides to prevent crystallization.
5. Take the candy off the heat and stir it until it’s smooth and even.
6. Dip the apples into the candy, making sure to coat the entire apple with a layer of candy. Once the apples are coated give them a twirl or make sure that there is no excess candy coating.
7. Set the candy apples on the baking sheet and allow them to cool at room temperature. Enjoy!